Support for Students

Hands in a circle
person holding a mug

Support for Students

We devote both time and resources to make sure our students are happy and feel at home in Cambridge, so they can get the most out of their course. We pride ourselves on being a supportive community, where students and staff play an active role in looking after one another.


Students having a supervision

Academic Support

For Undergraduates

Your Director of Studies (frequently abbreviated to DOS) will be responsible for organising your supervisions, and for taking care of your academic welfare in general; whether advising you on what courses to take, what lectures to attend or addressing any work-related problems you might have, your DOS is always at the end of an email.

For Postgraduates

Postgraduate students studying for a research degree will have a supervisor assigned to them by the relevant Department.

I think the ability to speak to people and to listen to them is a key part of the job and an important role of porters in College. Just asking how they are and reminding them, especially during exams, that they are here for a reason: they are here because they are bright and they can do it!

— Paul, Deputy Head Porter

Hands holding a cup of tea

Pastoral Support

Each student is assigned a personal Tutor who will meet them on a regular basis to talk through their general progress, seeing to it that their welfare and general wellbeing are being provided for. Staff in the Tutorial Office are present during office hours and are always happy to help with any queries students might have.

The Dean, who also officiates over the College Chapel, is available to provide support to all of our students, irrespective of their faith.

Our Porters are always happy to have a chat or to provide help and advice where they can. They are also trained in First Aid.

Both the undergraduate and postgraduate student committees (JCR and MCR) have Welfare Officers, who are elected by the student body each year.

The Wellbeing Team is a multidisciplinary team that aims to provide, refer, or signpost students to the right support at the right time. The team can provide advice and support on any issue impacting a student’s wellbeing, including mental health, physical health, and disability-related matters.

Piggy bank with coins

Financial Support

There is a widespread myth that Cambridge is more expensive than other universities. In actual fact, Cambridge is a relatively inexpensive place to study thanks to the substantial additional support available from the University and Colleges. Therefore, don’t let the costs put you off from applying and missing out on some great opportunities!

The University and Colleges offer a range of bursaries for students. For further information, please follow one of the links below:


Without a studentship I would not be able to undertake my studies at Cambridge. I use it to pay my University and College fees, rent and general living costs. With research councils cutting down on graduate awards, I am fully dependent on donations to allow me to carry out my research.

— Postgraduate student

Three people socialising; one using a wheelchair

Support for Disabilities

The College and University are committed to providing appropriate support for students with disabilities. The College works closely with the University’s Accessibility and Disability Resource Centre to ensure that students have what they need to take full advantage of their time at university.

The Disability Access Guide provides full details of the College’s facilities for disabled students.

Three students chatting

Support for Care Leavers/Estranged Students

All students require support from time to time, but some care leavers may have specific concerns when starting university.

The far-reaching welfare system in place at the University of Cambridge means we consistently have one of the lowest drop-out rates in the UK. As well as the support you receive through your College (such as the opportunity to live in College accommodation throughout the year if you need to), there are a number of University services that provide specialist assistance should you need or want it.

In order to ensure you get the support available to you as a care leaver, you should indicate in your UCAS application that you’ve spent time in care.

For further information, please see the page on Care Leavers Support on the University website and the Trinity Hall page on Support for Care-Experienced and Estranged Students.

Don’t get put off by the idea of the ‘Cambridge student’, and whether you fit that ideal. If you genuinely have a passion for your subject, then Cambridge is for you.

— Kate, undergraduate student

Making Friends

Worried about making friends at University? Hear some of our current students talk about their experience when they first arrived at Trinity Hall.