Trinity Hall’s excellent musical facilities are available to all current members of the College. We have multiple spaces to practice and perform, and a fine selection of instruments.
Practice and performance space
WongAvery Music Gallery
The WongAvery Music Gallery is an inspiring venue for students, Fellows and visiting musicians to practise and perform. The purpose-built space has been carefully thought out to maximise acoustics and natural light. It houses the College’s harpsichord, a grand piano and an extensive Chapel Music library.
The music room is situated on Central Site offers a flexible space for instrumental practice, group rehearsals and student recitals.
Our Wychfield site offers two further rooms available for music practice, namely the David Sheppard Room which houses a good upright piano, and the Old Porters’ Lodge which provides a further space for instrumental practice.
Trinity Hall’s ‘Model B’ Steinway Grand piano resides in the Master’s Lodge in which elegant setting many of the student recitals take place. In addition to its use as a concert instrument, it is made readily available to advanced pianists within the College for personal practice.
A fine Kawai Grand piano and an electric keyboard, both housed in the Music Room, are available to all members of the Trinity Hall Music Society.
Two upright pianos are also available for use on the Wychfield residential site.
The College’s superb double-manual harpsichord was made by renowned English craftsman Andrew Garlick, and is a copy of a French-style harpsichord after the Paris maker Goujon, 1748. This instrument was provided through the generous benefaction of numerous alumni of the College and was commissioned in order to fulfil both didactic and performance purposes. In addition to its use as an ensemble instrument, its capabilities as a solo keyboard instrument are of the highest calibre, and its full chromatic range enables the performance of the entire harpsichord repertoire.
A new organ by Carsten Lund of Denmark, was installed in the Chapel in 2006; David Sanger acted as Consultant. It was dedicated by the Bishop of Norwich on 15 October 2006.
Since establishing his firm in 1966, Carsten Lund has gained an enviable reputation throughout Scandinavia for the quality and individuality of his organs, most notable among which are those in the Bragernes Kirke, in Drammen, Norway; St Knud’s Cathedral, Odense; and his magnificent free reconstruction of the 1724 Kastens instrument in the Garnisons Kirke, Copenhagen. His choir organ in Copenhagen Cathedral can be heard every morning on Danish radio in the broadcast daily service.
An acclaimed CD recording of the chapel organ entitled The Buxtehude Influence played by the College’s Director of Music, Andrew Arthur, is available from our gift shop.