MA and Degrees
The MA is conferred by right on holders of the Cambridge BA degree. You may proceed to the MA not less than six years from the end of your first term of residence, providing that you have held your BA degree for at least two years.
The MA enables you to:
- exercise MA dining rights in College
- borrow books from the University Library (as a member of the Senate)
- participate in Discussions (part of the University’s decision making process)
- vote in the election of a new Chancellor or High Steward
Receiving your MA
When you become eligible to receive your MA degree the Alumni & Development Office will contact you about four months before the ceremony, which traditionally takes place at the end of March.
- there is a charge of £20 to receive the MA
- the MA must be booked at least three weeks before the ceremony
- MA candidates are invited to bring up to three guests to the ceremony in the Senate House
- celebrations in College include tea and cake following the ceremony for graduands and their guests and a reunion dinner in the evening for graduands only
- the MA degree can also be taken in absence
Further information about taking the MA, including the dress code for the ceremony, can be found on the University website at www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/your-course/graduation-and-what-next/degree-ceremonies or you can contact the Alumni & Development Office.
Future MA dates
23 March 2019 for those who matriculated in 2012.
If you are already eligible to take your MA but haven’t yet taken it, please contact Liz Pentlow to make arrangements for the conferral of the degree. You can pay the degree admin fee online at https://alumni.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/MAdegree
Further information about degrees
Alumni wanting transcripts of degrees or supplementary copies of degree certificates should use online ordering on the University webpage.