Trinity Hall was founded by Bishop Bateman of Norwich in 1350, making it the fifth oldest surviving College of the University of Cambridge.
The current appearance of Front Court dates from the 18th century. Following the bequest of Sir Nathanael Lloyd, Master 1710-1735, Front Court was altered according to the classical fashion of the day. The walls facing into the court were ashlared and new windows were inserted into the rooms facing the court, giving Front Court its uniformly elegant proportions. The Hall was also altered at this time; the old medieval panelling and smoke-blackened beams replaced by panelling carved with classical pillars and baroque designs. The Chapel was also altered, with sober classical panelling and a richly decorated ceiling replacing the medieval stone carvings and timbered roof.
The buildings of The Hall changed little until the late 19th century, when an increase in the number of students prompted the construction of the Latham Building facing onto Latham Lawn, named after Henry Latham, Master from 1888-1902. The neighbouring Thornton Buildings were constructed in 1909. Both buildings were refurbished to a high standard in 2009, and now provide spacious, modern accommodation for first-year undergraduates.
The last century has seen the most comprehensive building programme since the College’s foundation. The Bursary and two new staircases were built in North Court in the early part of the century. In 1975, provisions were made for a new Junior Combination Room (JCR), bar, music room, lecture theatre and terrace in an under-used court between the Old Library and the Latham Building. Following the construction of the Aula Bar and Crescent Room in 2009 in North Court, the old JCR and bar were refurbished to become a lecture theatre and reception room. In 1998, a new library overlooking the River Cam was completed. Housing 30,000 books, the Jerwood Library (named after its general sponsor, the Jerwood Foundation) has won particular acclaim for its unique design.
Altogether, Trinity Hall, with its gardens, architecture and riverside site, hidden between its larger neighbours, is one of the most attractive colleges in Cambridge. Of course we are prejudiced, but Henry James went even further: “If I were called upon to mention the prettiest corner of the world, I should draw a thoughtful sigh and point the way to the gardens of Trinity Hall.”
Trinity Hall was founded by Bishop Bateman of Norwich in 1350, making it the fifth oldest surviving College of the University of Cambridge. Bishop Bateman originally founded the College to promote the study of canon and civil law, probably due to the shortage of clergyman and lawyers following the Black Death of 1349. To this day, the College maintains a very strong tradition in the study of Law.
The current site of the College originated from the purchase of a house from John de Crauden, Prior of Ely, for the use of his monks during their period of study in Cambridge in the early 14th century. The College has remained on this site for almost 700 years. The buildings of Front Court, including the Chapel, the Hall and the Master’s Lodge, date from the late 14th century. Although little evidence remains of their medieval origins, from North Court the medieval windows and arches which remain on the back wall provide a glimpse of how the College may have looked in the 15th century.
Buildings off-site: a history of Wychfield
There were no College buildings away from central site until the boathouse was built in 1905 in memory of Henry Latham. In 1923-4 a playing field was made between Huntingdon Rd and Storey’s Way on land partly owned by the College for at least 250yrs and partly bought from the trustees of Storey’s charity. A pavilion, groundsman’s house and squash courts were soon built on the site. Wychfield House and its grounds were bought in 1948 and six years later part of the house was converted into a residence initially for the retired Master, Professor Dean. The rest of the house was occupied from 1961 by ten undergraduates and a caretaker. The stables were converted into rooms for four postgraduates and two years later an extension named in memory of Professor Dean made room for more postgraduates. Adjacent to the old house is Boulton House, which was designed by Arup Associates and built in 1968. In 1972 the same architects designed a block of flats for twelve married postgraduates. This was named Herrick house in memory of the poet Robert Herrick (1591-1674, who studied law at Trinity Hall in 1617). In the early 1990s work started on two buildings for postgraduate students: Walter Christie and Lancelot Fleming House, both designed by MacCormac, Jamieson & Prichard. The sports pavilion was refurbished and extended in 2003/4 by Freeland Rees Roberts to provide two competition-standard squash courts, a fitness room and changing rooms. On 14th July 2007 the new accommodation at Wychfield was opened by Andrew Marr (TH 1977). Designed by R H Partnership and constructed by Amec, the new buildings provide 136 rooms and 11 flats in lanscaped gardens.
Grace is recited at the majority of formal dinners in College. It is customary for the Dean to say Grace, or the Master in the Dean’s absence. If the Dean and the Master are absent, the most senior Fellow present says Grace.
Quicquid appositum est aut apponetur
Christus benedicere dignetur in nomine
Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti
Let Christ be deigned to bless everything that has been set before [us] or will be served up [to us] in the name of the Father and Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.
May the Blessed One be blessed