You will find below the answers to the most common questions. If you have further questions, visit ‘Still not convinced’ at the bottom of the page.
- Good rate of pay
- Calling takes place in the evening and at weekends leaving plenty of free time during the day to focus on your studies
- New transferable skills for your CV
- Many students have received careers advice, informal mentoring and even internship/job opportunities
- Excellent work experience and for those interested, a good stepping stone into Alumni Relations & Fundraising
- A fun and at times challenging experience which can be very rewarding
Yes, you will receive comprehensive training spread over two days prior to the start of the campaign.
Previous experience is not necessary since you will receive comprehensive training in negotiation and communication.
No, you will be given all the information you need to have great conversations with alumni and answer any questions they may have.
No. All alumni in our calling pool will be contacted in advance of the call to seek their consent. Alumni enjoy speaking to current students.
The campaign is raising money for the Trinity Hall Fund which seeks funding to benefit current students such as student support and and widening participation. All money raised is used in the following year to support your time in College.
- To improve and develop relationships with alumni
- To update alumni about recent and future events at Trinity Hall
- To increase the involvement of students
- To increase awareness of the role of the office and what we have to offer
- To enable you to exchange experiences with those who have studied here before you
- To raise money for targeted needs such as student support or mental health initiatives
- can listen
- can adapt and take advice from others
- has an outgoing, pleasant, enthusiastic and friendly manner
- is reliable, self-confident, tactful and discreet
- can work in an in-person or virtual team environment
- is committed and a good timekeeper
- enjoys speaking to a variety of people from all walks of life
- has a good telephone manner
- understands and agrees with the principles of telephone fundraising
- is able to act in a professional manner at all times
- Excellent experience for professional life: this work will help you develop interpersonal and commercial skills
- Comprehensive training in communication and negotiation skills that will improve your CV
- A reference for your CV
- This will enable you to tap into our alumni network and receive careers advice, informal mentoring and even internship opportunities from those they have spoken to
- Telethons are a great deal of fun – alumni enjoy talking to current students and vice-versa
- Positive team spirit
- A positive feeling helping College develop relationships and raise funds that will directly benefit you and your peers
- The ability to think on your feet
- The confidence to speak to people in any situation
- High-level communication and negotiation skills
- Increase your College knowledge
- Pitching skills
Telethons are fun, enjoyable and fulfilling and there is an equal measure of challenge which requires commitment and professionalism. It may surprise you to learn that it is a team effort too so during each Telethon we have individual and team games for which you can win fabulous prizes.
No. It is very important that you are present for all of the sessions – you will be working on your own to make the calls but it is a team effort. Empty seats have a detrimental impact on the team, motivation and levels of commitment. If you have any questions, please contact the Development Office. However, if you do need to miss a session for a prior engagement which you cannot rearrange, it will be considered with your application.
Yes, the Telethon has been designed to give you plenty of time to focus on your studies. During the week you will call in the evenings only (apart from Fridays) and then on weekends until the early evening. In addition to this, there will be an opportunity to work a few optional sessions where we will call alumni overseas but these are not obligatory.