The Aula Club was founded in 1892, the inspiration of John F Fearon and Harold Tingey (1887), as a dining club for old Trinity Hall men. When the College went mixed, the Club also extended its membership to old Trinity Hall members and currently numbers just under 400. Its aim is to recapture and perpetuate the Hall spirit after graduation by bringing together a mix of achievers from the College in whatever field or discipline, particularly those who enjoy dining together.
All Aula Club members are elected. Up to 15 new members a year are elected from the generation of undergraduates and graduates going down. Others are elected later in their careers, proposed by existing Aula members. The first dinner held in London in 1892 was attended by seven members. Today the Club meets twice a year, in March and December, at a variety of venues in London and biennially in Cambridge and between 70 and 100 members attend. In addition to dining fees, there is a modest annual subscription.
The Club has an eclectic membership but maintains its strong historic links to Trinity Hall sport through the Aula Fund, which supports Trinity Hall students aspiring to represent the University in any Blue or Half Blue sport. Aula Awards of between £500 and £1,000 help with specialist kit, training and related costs.
Since its inception, the Club has made donations to College appeals and projects, most recently a significant contribution to the creation and establishment of the Aula Bar.
Aula Club Committee
Richard Walker Arnott (1957) President
Kate Hearle (1977) Honorary Secretary
Freddy Marr-Johnson (1957)
Nick Eastwell (1975)
Sarah Webbe (1981)
Chris Harrison (1984)
Alice Archer (2010)
Please contact Kate Hearle for more information on the Aula Club.
Please note that the views expressed on Aula Club webpages are not necessarily those of the College and any content is added at the request of the Aula Club Committee.