[Skip to main content]

Prospective Students


How many places are there each year for each subject?
Please refer to the individual course pages for average figures.
What is your opinion on gap years?
In most subjects we are completely neutral on gap years. In Mathematics they are discouraged, whilst in some subjects such as Engineering or Languages they can be of some benefit to the student in gaining experience (but not necessary for an application).
Do you accept applications from affiliated students?
Yes, for most courses but not for Architecture, Medicine or Veterinary Medicine. Applicants will be expected to have achieved a First or an Upper Second Class degree in order for their application to be competitive.
Is there an age requirement?
There’s no age requirement for admission to most courses at Cambridge, although the vast majority of undergraduates are either 18 or will turn 18 during their first year. You’ll need to demonstrate that you have the maturity and personal skills to cope with university level study. If you’ll be over 21 when you start your course, you are classified as a mature student. Applicants for Medicine are required to be 18 before the second term of their first year.
Do you accept applications from students already at another UK university?
Please note that the Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances.

Any application to move to Cambridge would need strong support from your Course Director or other academic tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from that person to the Cambridge College would be required and only then can a Cambridge College consider an application. All such applications are still subject to the same academic assessment as any other application to the University.

If you are in the final year of a Bachelor's degree at another UK university you are, of course, welcome to apply for admission as an affiliated student.
Can I transfer to Cambridge from another university?
It is not possible for a student to transfer to Cambridge to pursue only part of a degree course. All students must start in the first year of our three- or four-year undergraduate programmes.
Do you take visiting students?
Trinity Hall participates in the University’s Erasmus Exchange Programme. Apart from this, we do not take any other visiting students.
What are interviews like?
At Trinity Hall we usually give each applicant two interviews. There are usually two interviewers present in each interview, and the questions asked will be primarily academic in nature. Topics covered will relate to the course for which the candidate has applied, and will range from material covered at school to material not encountered before.
What should I wear to an interview?
There is no dress code; wear something you are comfortable in. Cambridge can get cold in December, so make sure you bring a warm coat.


Miss Vicky Mills
Admissions Officer
Trinity Hall
Trinity Lane
Cambridge CB2 1TJ

t: +44 1223 332535

Undergraduate Admissions
Graduate Admissions


Jerwood Library

Our award-winning Jerwood Library was built in 1999, and is open 24 hours a day to Trinity Hall's undergraduate and graduate students and Fellows.

Explore Trinity Hall Library

Day in the Life

Find out about real life with our students

Ed – BA Engineering

Wondering what it's like to be a student at a Cambridge College? We asked a few of our current students and here's how one of our undergraduates describes a typical day.

Open Days

Aimed at sixth-form students considering Cambridge University – see the College, courses, and admissions process.

See All Open Days

JCR (for Undergrads)

Image of JCR logo with building

The JCR (Junior Combination Room) is the College student union for undergrads. Organising socials, sports and entertainment, the JCR also has its own common room for meeting or relaxing with TV.

Visit the JCR Website

[Go back to the top of the page]