Andrew Marr opens new buildings for his old College.
18 July 2007
Trinity Hall has just completed its most ambitious building programme to date
Responding to the need to provide additional and better accommodation for its undergraduates, postgraduates and young Fellows, the College embarked on a major building project at its second site, Wychfield, between Storey's Way and Huntingdon Road to the North West of the city centre.
The new accommodation was officially opened on Saturday 14 July by BBC correspondent Andrew Marr, who read English at Trinity Hall from 1977 to 1980.
Designed by local architects RH Partnership and constructed by Amec with project management by Davis Langdon, the accommodation provides 136 en-suite rooms and 11 flats.
Occupation began in September 2006 and the whole site, including the landscaping of beautiful new gardens by Cambridge Landscaping and the Head Gardener of Trinity Hall, will be completed during the autumn of 2007.
The building is divided into three blocks. Each block has retained the traditional “Cambridge Staircase”, with two Staircases sharing a well-equipped kitchen and large common room. All rooms are en-suite, enjoy east and west facing views, and have telephone and IT connections.
In addition the accommodation provides 24 hour porterage, and a Reading Room. This room is to be named in a private ceremony in September after the late Rt Revd Lord (David) Sheppard (Trinity Hall 1949, History), previously Bishop of Liverpool and Captain of the English Cricket Team.
A Trinity Hall Milestone, commissioned from the Cardozo Kindersley Workshop as the foundation stone for this new accommodation, now stands in Storey's Way.
The new accommodation has been funded through a combination of land investments reaching maturity and the generosity of Trinity Hall alumni.
Wychfield grounds, in which this new development is set, was bought by Trinity Hall in 1949. Adjacent to the original Arts & Crafts house stands Boulton House, a modern building in concrete and glass designed by Arup Associates and completed in 1968.
In 1973, the same architects designed a block of twelve flats which was named Herrick House in memory of the poet Robert Herrick (1591-1674, who studied Law at Trinity Hall in 1617).
In the early 1990s work started on two further buildings to house postgraduates: the Walter Christie and Launcelot Fleming Houses were designed by MacCormac, Jamieson & Prichard.
This was followed by a complete refurbishment and extension to the Sports Pavilion by Freeland Rees Roberts in 2003/4 to provide two excellent competition standard squash courts, a fitness room and modern changing rooms.
Trinity Hall is currently running a campaign entitled “Milestones to the Future”. It has two goals: Regeneration – a running refurbishment and improvement of rooms, lecture theatres, common rooms, etc, which has been divided into individual projects of various sizes; and Re-Endowment – the pool of money that funds every operational activity of the College.
The first of the Regeneration projects has just been completed. This was the renovation of rooms on Front Court and the expansion and refurbishment of the Porter's Lodge. Designed by Freeland Rees Roberts, the work was undertaken by Bluestone.