Hong Kong summer school

Hong Kong summer school

By Dr Thomas Bennett, Research Fellow

Members of Trinity Hall in Hong Kong. Dr Bennett is top row, third from the left.

I took the opportunity to visit the Wuhan University of Technology, Hubei, China, for a few days before the Hong Kong summer school. I have a visiting researcher position there and really enjoy working with the Chinese PhD students.

It’s also a fascinating opportunity to gain a much deeper understanding of the Chinese culture and people – I spent about four weeks travelling through China in 2009 and that’s where my interest really started.

It did, however, mean that I arrived in Hong Kong late in the evening, ready for a 8am start the following day. I had one intensive weekend course, followed by two the week after – one running from 8.30-11.30am and the other from 12.30-3.30pm for five days.

One of the things I enjoy most (as well as meeting the students and the food!) is meeting those donors who, like us, work to make Trinity Hall better. I particularly enjoyed seeing Leslie Chung and catching up with Anthony Ng!