[Skip to main content]

Prospective Students

Studentship FAQs

How many Studentships are awarded each year?
The number and the value of awards varies considerably from year to year and is dependent on many factors, including the number and quality of applicants and the duration and value of awards from previous years. All subjects are included and studentships are awarded on the merit of the application and qualifications of the applicant. The Trinity Hall Review for the preceding years publishes details of previous year's Studentship awards.
What if I receive funding from another source?
You must notify Trinity Hall immediately of any funding you may receive either before or after you submit your application. The College reserves the right to withdraw funding and pass it on to the next eligible student and it is very important that you accept other funding to allow Trinity Hall to provide as many Studentships as possible. The College will reduce your Studentship by the amount you have been awarded by any other funding source, if it exceeds your total fee and maintenance costs as set down in university guidelines. For example if Trinity Hall offer you a fully funded Studentship of £30,000 and you gain funding from another source of £10,000 your Trinity Hall studentship would be reduced by £10,000.
When should I apply?
The earlier the better. Your University on-line application will need to be seen by the department before being passed on to a college. This may be seen by more than one college which will require time for it to be reviewed and passed on. Apply early and allow the colleges and departments sufficient time to review you application before approaching deadlines.
Do I need to send additional references or further information to support my application?
No. All necessary information, including references, transcripts and research proposals, will be provided as part of your University on-line application.
What are eligibility criteria?
In most cases successful applicants will be graduates of an established university or other degree-awarding institution with a first-class honours grade or equivalent. The College is particularly interested in applicants who are highly ranked by the Cambridge University Department relevant to their course and applicants are encouraged to notify their proposed department that they are applying for a Trinity Hall studentship. You must also meet all other University criteria attached to your offer (this includes academic, funding, language, ATAS, immigration).
When will I hear the outcome?
You will hear one way or the other by the end of April 2018, but you may hear at any stage during the time from the closing of the applications procedure. This is due to the complicated nature of funding offers and variable deadlines across colleges, the University and Research Councils so you may not hear back immediately. Should you have other opportunities pending it is perfectly acceptable to contact Charlotte Moss, Graduate Administrator to check the progress but only if you are considering an alternative offer.
What if I get accepted by another College?
You make your choices on your University on-line application and you will be considered in order of preference. Please contact Trinity Hall immediately should you receive an offer from another college. Colleges understand the need for students to accept offers with funding attached and open discourse is therefore encouraged to allow the maximum number of students to receive funding to study in Cambridge. However there is no guarantee that you would be able to change college once your choice is made.
How do I fund my fourth year?
PhD funding is for 3 years unless otherwise stated. It is expected that you will complete within that period. If not you will be expected to fund any further period of study.
What if I am not eligible for any of the specifically named Studentships?
All students who complete an application will automatically be entered for the Trinity Hall Research Studentships which are a catch all for students who do not fit one of the specific named ones.

For Funding:

Miss Charlotte Moss
Graduate Administrator
Trinity Hall
Trinity Lane
Cambridge CB2 1TJ

t: +44 1223 360985


How to Apply

Apply to Trinity Hall

Applicants for a graduate degree apply directly to the University and not to the College.

Full Details on the University Website

MCR (for Graduates)

Image of JCR logo with building

The MCR (Middle Combination Room) is our name for the graduate common area and graduate student body. With plenty of facilities, it's a great place to read, grab a coffee or chat with friends.

Visit the MCR Website

Studentships & Funding

Trinity Hall has some of the most generous graduate funding of all the Cambridge Colleges, including fully-funded graduate scholarships and research-related funding.

Find out More on Funding


Trinity Hall Wychfield Accommodation

Trinity Hall has a variety of accommodation for undergraduate and graduates. Fully furnished rooms, some ensuite, and much cheaper than commercial rates.

See our Accommodation

[Go back to the top of the page]