[Skip to main content]

News

Back to news archive

Weather Vane reinstalled at Trinity Hall Boat Club

5 April 2011

Weather vane against the sky

Trinity Hall Cambridge installed a replica of the original weather vane on the roof of its Boat House on Tuesday 5 April 2011.  The weather vane is a gift of a benefactor, Dr Walter Grant Scott (Trinity Hall, 1969, PhD, Particle Physics) who remembered the original from his rowing days on the River Cam in the 1970s, and was keen to see it reinstated.  The original was presented to Trinity Hall Boat Club in recognition of the College achieving Head of the River for five consecutive years in the 1890s, and was installed on the current Trinity Hall Boat House built in 1905.

 

Dr Scott hopes that the “replacement of the weather vane will act as a motivator to current crews to move on to ever new heights.  It is a reminder that we have not yet secured a clock tower, which is awarded for ten consecutive years!”  He believes that the Hall made nine consecutive years three times, which is a non trivial task for a smaller College.

The original was damaged in the 1990s, and the new weather vane incorporates remnants of the original structure and design.

Hoisting the weather vane

Borley Brothers Engineering company based in Teversham, Cambridge, designers and constructors of the weather vane, said of the commission:  “we were delighted to be involved in such a prestigious job that allowed us to revert to the old traditions of blacksmithing.”

 

To take on this unusual commission, Borley Brothers invested in a new power hammer and gas forge which will allow further artisan commissions to be added to their order book.

The weather vane is made of mild steel which was galvanised, powder-coated and then lacquered.  The red lion is cast in brass.  Borley Brothers’ talented local team rose to both the artistic challenge of the design, and to the technical challenge of creating a balanced structure able to respond effortlessly to the changing winds.

 

Background notes:

Trinity Hall, Cambridge, has one of the oldest Boat Clubs in Cambridge.  The current Boat house was built in 1905 in memory of Henry Latham (Master from 1888 to 1902) and was the first College building built away from Trinity Hall’s historic city centre site.

For more information on the Boat Club, please click here.

 

Borley Brothers, established in 1964,offers a wide range of metalcraft services and products to the domestic and corporate sectors. 

For further information, contact Kim Butler, Borley Brothers, 6/9 Church Road, Teversham,  Cambridge CB1 9AZ.

Tel: 01223 294156.  Email: info@borley-brothers.co.uk.   Web: borley-brothers.co.uk

 

Riverside with swan

Back to news archive

Contact:

Trinity Hall
Trinity Lane
Cambridge
CB2 1TJ

t: +44 1223 332500
e: info@trinhall.cam.ac.uk

Research Articles

Will one be forgotten?

Internet Freedom and Data Protection After Google Spain by Dr David Erdos

The Old Library Blog

Front Court Magazine

Image of the cover of the latest issue of Front Court

Issue 26
Autumn 2017

in this issue:

  • Behind the lens: THwomen40 photographic portraits
  • A new Hall portrait
  • Brexit and UK trade

View the page-turn issue

Gift Shop

Mugs, pens and more

Buy Trinity Hall gifts

Take Trinity Hall with you wherever you go, from China mugs to pens and notecards.

Shop now!

[Go back to the top of the page]