New Andrew Garlick Harpsichord at Trinity Hall
22 November 2009
The Master and Fellows of Trinity Hall are delighted to announce the inauguration of a new harpsichord for the College. The instrument has been made by renowned English craftsman Andrew Garlick, and is a copy of a double manual French style harpsichord after the Paris maker Goujon, 1749. This instrument has been made possible through the generous benefaction of numerous alumni of the college and was commissioned in order to fulfil both didactic and performance purposes. In addition to its use as an ensemble instrument, its capabilities as a solo keyboard instrument are of the highest calibre, and its full chromatic range will enable the performance of the entire harpsichord repertoire.
The consultant for the project has been the College’s own Director of Music, Andrew Arthur, who – together with baroque violinist Theresa Caudle – gave the inaugural recital in the College’s Senior Combination Room on St Cecilia’s Day, Sunday 22nd November, 2009 in the presence of the Andrew Garlick.
For further details please contact Jocelyn Poulton, Development Director, Trinity Hall, Cambridge, CB2 1TJ. Tel: +44 (0)1223 332563. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Specification of new Andrew Garlick harpsichord at Trinity Hall, Cambridge
Two manuals, FF-f3 chromatic.
Pitch: a=415’ transposing to a=440’
Registration: 2 x 8’ + 1 x 4’, buff to lower 8’
Keys covered with African blackwood with bone topped accidentals.
Traditional wooden jacks voiced in delrin.
Casework built of limewood and painted in subtle faux marble with black surrounds and yellow ochre lines.
Keywell and rim to the inside of the case, decorated with Flemish printed paper.
Inside lid decorated with Flemish ash grain paper, borders, arabesques and typical Latin motto ‘SOLI DEO GLORIA. SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI’.
Integral music desk.
Stand, Flemish tripod style.
Soundboard decoration in the traditional Franco-Flemish style, incorporating the Trinity Hall ‘Grant of Arms’.