A new Milestone for Cambridge
27 June 2007
Bringing a historic tradition right up to date, Trinity Hall has installed a new milestone on Storey's Way in west Cambridge.
Made in Portland stone, the milestone commemorates the completion of a new building providing en-suite accommodation for Trinity Hall students on the College's Wychfield site.
The milestone was made by the Cardozo Kindersley Workshop in Victoria Road, Cambridge, the country's best-known letter cutters, founded by David Kindersley in 1945 and now run by his wife Lida Lopes Cardozo.
It carries the Trinity Hall crescent and shows the distance in two directions – one to the entrance of Trinity Hall Wychfield (50 metres) and the other to Trinity Hall on Trinity Lane (2006 metres).
The design echoes that of the milestones installed by Trinity Hall around Cambridge in the 1720s, marking the routes from Cambridge to Barkway on the old London Road, to Linton and Haverhill, to Newmarket, and to Huntingdon.
Several of these survive and can be identified by the Trinity Hall crescent, which appears on the College's shield and is based on the coat of arms of its founder Bishop of Norwich, William Bateman.
The new milestone can be spotted set back in the beech hedge on Storey's Way, between the vehicle and pedestrian entrances to Trinity Hall Wychfield.
27 June 2007