Professor Sir Philip Randle FRCP FRS
29 September 2006
The College is greatly saddened to hear of the death of Professor Sir Philip Randle. Sir Philip was a Fellow of the College from 1957-1964, and was elected an Honorary Fellow of the Hall in 1988.
Born in 1926, Sir Philip studied at Cambridge and in London before being appointed as a lecturer in Biochemistry in Cambridge (1955-1964). He moved to Bristol in 1964, as Professor of Biochemistry, and was subsequently appointed to Oxford in 1975, where he became the Professor and founding chairman of the department of Clinical Biochemistry.
He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1983, serving as Vice-President 1988-89. He was knighted in 1985.