The Old Library houses a collection of manuscripts which includes medieval and post-medieval manuscripts and annotated proof copies of published books. It also houses some items from the College Archive for display purposes. These include medieval and early modern charters and some letters. Subject to restrictions imposed by their current physical condition, the Old Library's manuscripts may be consulted in the Jerwood Library, by prior appointment only. For further information on the manuscripts and arrangements for viewing them please contact the Fellow Archivist and Librarian or the Director of Library Services.
We would welcome further information on research into these manuscripts.
All the Old Library's medieval manuscripts dating from before 1600 are listed here. The majority of Trinity Hall's medieval and early modern manuscripts have been catalogued by M R James in his A descriptive catalogue of the manuscripts in the Library of Trinity Hall (Cambridge University Press, 1907). Some of the manuscripts described by James have supplementary descriptions provided for Trinity Hall by Dr Elizabeth New. The remaining medieval manuscripts not described by James have been catalogued recently for Trinity Hall by Dr Elizabeth New.
The Old Library's manuscripts dating from 1600 onwards are listed here. These later manuscripts have been catalogued for Trinity Hall by Dr Elizabeth New. A few post-medieval manuscripts were catalogued by M R James in his A descriptive catalogue of the manuscripts in the Library of Trinity Hall (Cambridge University Press, 1907) and his descriptions are also listed here.
The Old Library houses two Persian manuscripts which are listed here. These fine 17th century manuscripts both merit further study. We would be grateful for any further information or comments on these manuscripts from scholars in the field.
Trinity Hall is greatly indebted to Mr N J R James and Cambridge University Press for their permission to publish James's work in this new form.